BACK
House Contest Short Stories

A Surprising Turn of Events

"Poor old Sam," said Peregrin Took to his friend Meriadoc Brandybuck as they sat over a friendly drink at the Green Dragon Inn on the way back from a visit to their friends, Frodo and Sam, in Hobbiton.       

"Whatever do you mean?" replied Merry. "Sam's in great shape. Happily married to Rosie, living at Bag End with Frodo, and now the baby is almost here. How can you possibly say 'Poor old Sam'?".     

"That's just it. He's settled down now and every one treats him as though he had nothing to do with the war and just helped with the clearing up. You and I seem to get most of the credit.  There should be something we can do for Sam. Something that will make him happy, and will also remind others that Sam is a special person too."                                                                                

"Well, what do you want to do about it, Pip? Short of riding about the countryside shouting 'Hurrah for Sam!' I can't think of a way to change things. He planted that wonderful Mallorn tree.  That ought to remind people that he's an uncommon hobbit."                   

"Frodo and I have come up with a plan," and as Pippin began to explain it in detail, his friend went off into great gusts of laughter.     

"Only you and Frodo could come up with such a marvelous idea!" Merry roared.  "Are you sure Sam has no idea, and that Frodo can keep him distracted long enough for us to carry it out?  If we manage it, Bywater will finally surpass the Eastfarthing in at least one thing.

"Well," replied his friend, "everyone at Bag End is in on the plan, so that should help keep Sam out of the way. Let's try it."      

Very soon the gossip began.  It started in Buckland and gradually made its way to the Gaffer's ear as he sat one night in the Green Dragon.  It seems mysterious messages were going back and forth between a certain house at Crickhollow and a certain Inn at Bree.  It was only a matter of a few hours before it finally reached Sam in the kitchen at Bag End.  

"Mark my words Mr. Frodo.  Those two young fellows are up to something." said Sam.  "They didn't ought to be concocting wild schemes at their age.  Its unnatural."  

"Now, Sam, you know Merry and Pippin are all grown up now. They have a right to their own lives, the same as we do. Besides, you can't really credit what you hear reported in the gossip mills down at the Dragon. Who knows where that rumor originated." chuckled Frodo as he looked up from his writing desk.   

"All the same Mr. Frodo, somebody should go check it out." worried Sam. "I can't, what with the baby due so soon, and all. And you can't go neither, but maybe we could send one of Rosie's brothers.  Nibs would go, if you asked him."  

"I'll talk to Farmer Cotton, Sam, and see whether anyone can be spared to go and check." But he said it with a smile in his voice, and a few days later casually mentioned to Sam that Nibs was heading off to Buckland on a little trip, and that he'd lent him Bill the pony for the journey.  What he failed to mention however, was the long talk he'd had with Nibs before he left.  
 
Sam let his worries about Merry and Pippin drift from his mind as they were replaced with more immediate concerns. After all, Mr. Frodo was looking into it, and that was good enough for Sam. He had to worry about Rosie, and one of Mr. Frodo's bad days was due any time now.  So he let it go.  That is, until the next round of rumors arrived.     

"Gone off to Bree, if you can believe it." reported the Gaffer, "And they say they've took Nibs with them too.  And a spare pony."   
 
"I can't believe it Mr. Frodo! They're off again and they've took Rosie's brother with them this time."  Sam kept worrying at it like a dog with a sore paw. "They shouldn't have took Bill without at least consulting you first.  If the baby wasn't due any day now, I'd go after 'em and give 'em a piece of my mind. What do they mean by it?"  

Sam found out exactly what they meant twelve days later, when Nibs stopped in at Bag End to see his brand new niece.  

"Well, I'm back, and them two friends of yourn are down to the Green Dragon" said Nibs. "They got a newfangled idea they're trying to sell to the pubkeeper. Told him they were doing it special for you and that you would like it.  He sounds like he'll give it a try. First one in the Shire to have it. We'll beat the Golden Perch at last.  Good thing too!" 

Sam couldn't think what it could be. They were too old for fireworks now, but he had thought they were too grown up for most kinds of foolishness, and so had Frodo.  Looks like they were wrong about that.  He was heading out the back door to call a halt to whatever it might be when Pippin and Merry showed up themselves at the front door.   

"What's this I'm hearing about you two?" Sam scolded.  "Up to mischief, unless I mistake my guess. And what's this about telling people that I'm in favor of your latest scheme?"        

"But you will be in favor of it!" cried Pippin.  "I know we didn't ask you to help out this time Sam, but you had other things to do. Still we have both made sure that everyone knows you are the one who inspired us to follow up with this great innovation, and they all love it."

Sam felt himself sinking deeper and deeper into a conspiracy that was not of his making or desiring. When he looked up across the room for support, he saw Frodo smiling and nodding at him with a twinkle in his eye.   

"Not you too Mr. Frodo!  Tell me you aren't in on this as well." he cried.  

"Can't be done Sam.  I'm in it up to my chin, and so is Rosie." Frodo responded with a laugh.         

"Now don't you go blaming Rosie, and her not here to defend herself. You can't tell me that my wife would take part in anything that would cause that much noise." said Sam, as the distant, but growing sound of shouts and yells came to their ears through the windows of Bag End.               

"Goodness! I suppose I had better get down to the Dragon and try to set things right. We're not supposed to let this kind of thing happen, I'm sure.  Old Will Whitfoot will never let us hear the end of it, if there's a riot."  Sam rushed out and pounded down the hill to Bywater with the others in hot pursuit.  He hoped he could reach the Dragon in time to prevent things from getting totally out of hand.

As they drew nearer to the Inn, they were swallowed up in a clamoring crowd of hobbits.  Those at the front were making most of the noise, but Sam couldn't understand what they were shouting. There was a sound of hammering that rang out over the cheers.  He pushed his way through the crowd to the front, followed by Frodo, Merry and Pippin.    

Then he saw it.  He stopped dead in his tracks, looked again, then broke into a broad grin. A large banner was being hung across the front of the Green Dragon. A banner that put to shame even the one they'd had for Mr. Bilbo's famous party.      

It said in large letters "Green Dragon Ale ~ Best in the Shire.  Sam Gamgee's Favorite ~ Now it comes in PINTS!"   


Copyright 2003
Permission granted to publish as part of the Eowyn Challenge House Contest #3
All other rights reserved.